Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sweaters, Sweaters, Sweaters!!

Ok, so my cousin is having a baby (finally).  Her baby shower is early May, even though she's not due till the end of August.  We just found out a week ago that she's having a boy, so it hasn't given me a lot of time to think of what I want to make her.  On top of all of that her having a boy is like the 7th person this year that I've had to make baby boy stuff for.  I'm really getting sick of seeing blue!  I had all this cute baby girl yarn picked out for this current boy having cousin.  See, I'm not a huge fan of pink, and neither is my cousin, her favorite color is purple, and I found this GREAT variegated purple yarn perfect for a blanket, sweater, bib, anything!  I had so many great ideas, I was so excited, the universe wouldn't make me make MORE boy items would it?  But apparently the universe doesn't like me or I did something to anger it (probably angered it by buying that beautiful purple yarn).

Oh well, she's having a boy.  I got down to figuring out what to make.  My sister and I found a cool pattern for a polka dot blanket.  We loved it, I bought the yarn, started to make it.  It worked up SO slow.  Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely blanket, but it's made using intarsia  knitting, which looks good, but goes slow.

So I scraped that project (it wasn't going to get done before early May, and I'm not going to lie, I really don't like this cousin so I don't feel as bad scraping it).  Now I had to look for more cool-ish items to make her that says "look at the cool stuff I can make".  I didn't want to buy more yarn for making a new project, so I had to find something that only needed at least 2 skeins of one color.  So I decided to make a baby sweater/jacket.  It would be perfect, people think it's so hard to make a sweater/jacket so it will look like I put a lot of time into it, and it's practical so the baby will be able to use it.  Here is the jacket I'm making:
I've changed a couple of things.  I put a 5 row 2x2 ribbing on the bottom of the sweater, and on the cuffs of the sleeve to keep them from rolling and (at least to me) it gives it a more polished/finished look.

No comments:

Post a Comment