Monday, March 7, 2011

More Inspiration


Since I am at the start of opening my etsy shop and trying to fill it with items that I hope people want, I have been searching and searching for inspiration from anywhere.  My store mainly constitutes baby items, bibs, burp cloths, rattles, stuffed animals, and what not.  With these items I am trying to think of ways of making them or perfecting them into something that is unique that will catch people’s attention.  With this in mind my newest inspiration is Star Wars.  After watching the movies this weekend and doing some research on the internet I found some potential picture inspiration ideas.

                                                     (some of my recent inspiration pictures)

My biggest problem is I get ideas on things and I don’t know how exactly to get the item to do what I’m thinking.  It probably doesn’t help that I’m a bit of a perfectionist.  So what I do for ideas is I look up the basic thing I want to make.  If it’s a character say, like Darth Vader, I’ll start with looking up Darth Vader.  Then when I got the basic idea of what he looks like (I really do know what Darth Vader looks like, I’m looking for details though that you don’t normally remember) I’ll draw a rough outline of the features I want to highlight.  After that I’ll look for images of items other people have made of that character and see what they highlighted.  Sometimes this step gives me good ideas of how to present the features I’ve chosen to show, but mostly it shows me how not to present them, and sometimes that’s more helpful.  After that I get to it.  With trial and error I stumble through it and figure it out in the end.

What’s next?  Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Yoda, Sesame Street characters (Burt, Ernie, Big Bird, Elmo, Grover, etc) and Super Hero’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment